Skip to main content

New Video Blog! The Indolent Spinster Weekly!

So I have started what is hopefully going to be a new weekly blog of the video variety, I will always post the transcript here, and eventually also caption them all too, but I've not done that before and need to figure it out. I don't want to  just have subtitles, but captions. i like having the whole transcript available, for those who don't want to or can't watch the videos.

here is the transcript and video!




Welcome to the very first edition of Indolent Spinster Weekly Report

Which as per usual i have spent three weeks procrastinating and trying to figure out what kind of narration to put over top of my fun backyard selfie video that you see as you hear these words. I have been trying to narrow down things to say in my new idea for weekly video blogs...

I almost want to just have wordless images of me with fun effects and transitions between b-roll and stock footage, that i cobbled together one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, thinking i would just record a minute or two of narration, an update of my life recently. But I didn’t get to it. It seemed as much as I loved it: not quite right for what i wanted to do with this so called ‘Weekly Report’. Which to be honest will likely be less than weekly... But i want to give the routine the old college try.

Thing is, y’know....  me and plans don’t get along. I like making lists, outlines, but I prefer just jumping in and doing the thing more than planning it, if you get me. Remember Memento, that Christopher Nolan movie, where Guy Pearce loses his memory when he goes to sleep at night, and has to piece his life together each morning. that’s me, except that I remember everything that happened before, plus some new vivid crazy ass dreams that I have trained myself to let go of, lest they take up half my morning, remembering and trying to sense them together as some kind of narrative.

This is why I am both apprehensive about, and desirous of starting a self employment class/program at BCIT in a couple of weeks. I want to be better at building a long term plan to help me pay for life, but I am wary of not just making it up as I go, as for good and bad, that has been my survival strategy as a trans person, and working person, the idea of a career, my entire life. seriously, I am one of those folks who thinks, every morning ‘ this is it, today’s the big day.’ It rarely is ‘it’ or any kind of big day.

but sometimes, sometimes it is. So I am not sure where this weekly report is going other than it is in support of me getting my ‘Indolent Spinster’ ‘Zine finished and published quarterly. My plan, such as these things go, will be to update on the progress of the Zine, to preview bits of it, and just say what’s on my mind during the week, every week. I’m trying to build a narrative of my life as a creator of things, as someone trying each day anew to find purpose, meaning, while keeping healthy and housed.

So yeah, like and share this video please and help me keep on plan, whilst i learn how to craft a career of my own, doing all the things, instead of one thing, because well for me, that’s boring, and never lasts anyway. Oh and watch out for my zine, hopefully coming this autumn to amazon and maybe even in print if i can get a bunch of pre-orders.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes.

Field Notes In/On Transition. Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes. August, thus far has been a bit hotter and stickier here in the “Groovy ‘Couv,” than the previous couple of months... my brain is a tub of molasses, it seems. Hopefully it will cool down so I can get back to posting as regularly as I have been all summer. It’s “Pride Week” or for me really, the weekend at least, I went to the parade yesterday (Sunday, August 5th), after missing it last year due to extreme laziness. But this year I am feeling a bit more proud of myself, and I had a pal to hang out with and see the parade. I often end up going to things like this alone, and feeling less included than I ought to. More on that in a bit, first let me rewind to Saturday and talk about taking another one of those things that for me, is a big step on my journey: having a real “hair appointment.” (there’s a Bugs Bunny reference there somewhere)  I went down to one of those salons (The former “Joji’s”

Last indolent Spinster Almost Daily Report from DOXA 2018

My last laconic lazy one take video chatting about the last couple days of the festival DOXA 2018

Field Notes In/On Transition

Field Notes In/On Transition 20/04/12 Yesterday I mentioned to my neighbour, about how now, at not quite a month into HRT (Anti Androgen lowering testosterone slowly over several month to lady levels.) “My emotions are seeming to come from a different place”. This is at least…  how I have processed my recent emotional life, at any rate.  If you know me, you know that I can have a short fuse at times. It often erupts more with pissiness winning out over pithiness. It’s happened a few times recently, and the best way to explain it is of course, with fuzzy metaphors: With my former (I see as) elevated testosterone levels, my pissiness had a rougher rusty serrated edge yet foggy to it. My lowered testosterone rages seem cleaner, razor edged, sharp like a samurai sword across a sunset. I still have a hair trigger, it’s just easier for me to get over it.  Weird? yes, but well, I am more of a poet, than I am any other kind of writer, and imagery is my bread, peanut butter, an