Skip to main content

Indolent spinster weekly Report #6

This week's Indolent spinster Report has been hijacked by a poem i wrote 23 years ago, inspired by the Late great gord Downie of the Tragically Hip, my friend Andrew Davidson, and a third writer, Hugh MacLennan, who you may also have heard of, who inspired me, andrew and Gord very much with his definition of Courage.


photo of Gord from CBC

COURAGE {for andrew, gord, & hugh.}

lonelier than never   
              within 
my neck 
   my throat
      choke words
            hard
            suicidally so.

I am weary bleary and toothless.

In every mirror
         I see hopeless
               soft fat breath.   

And wetness.

Then
     somehow
thick white blood re:routes
                  an
                  other
path into my chest   
and the shit melts
in
  closely shaved rhythms   
                 or smiles
                    songs slither   
as delicate 
   as though
   I had swallowed a rose.

My breath is filled 
             with words and fear 
                            and 
                            clarity.

I drink to others who are   
angels dancing amidst                                         
               the hatreds of   
                           my soul 
                           my body
and the secret ethers of my dream 
                           my song

: I can only sing in side my self.

© Josie Boyce 2017 selected from the book "The Wickedness of Flowers."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes.

Field Notes In/On Transition. Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes. August, thus far has been a bit hotter and stickier here in the “Groovy ‘Couv,” than the previous couple of months... my brain is a tub of molasses, it seems. Hopefully it will cool down so I can get back to posting as regularly as I have been all summer. It’s “Pride Week” or for me really, the weekend at least, I went to the parade yesterday (Sunday, August 5th), after missing it last year due to extreme laziness. But this year I am feeling a bit more proud of myself, and I had a pal to hang out with and see the parade. I often end up going to things like this alone, and feeling less included than I ought to. More on that in a bit, first let me rewind to Saturday and talk about taking another one of those things that for me, is a big step on my journey: having a real “hair appointment.” (there’s a Bugs Bunny reference there somewhere)  I went down to one of those salons (The former “Joji’s”

Last indolent Spinster Almost Daily Report from DOXA 2018

My last laconic lazy one take video chatting about the last couple days of the festival DOXA 2018

Indolent spinster almost daily report from DOXA #5

latest almost daily report after taking a day off monday due to a cold, which i still have but am not as knocked out by. Saw Wajd: Songs of separation which was really interesting. which in my report i say is playing again on sunday, but actually it's saturday at 5pm, and it's almost if not sold out already line up early!